Well, I had to do it today. Real parenting, I mean. The pill bug we saved from certain death yesterday had it coming anyway. Poor little guy. And little tots was so sad. Here is the scoop:
It was basically the Sunday rush to get to church (who isn't after a really nice Saturday??). But I just couldn't get tots to come. She had found somthing: A bug. She likes to pick them up lately. It takes everything in me not to react (and sometimes everything isn't enough). So I tell her that the bug would be okay (she'd dropped him on his back and he was struggling to flip). And we hop in the car.
Three hours later, we exit our car and she runs straight to the poor little guy. He was still flipped and only slightly moving. This time she wouldn't let it go, so I had to help the buggy to his belly and he slowly, slowly started crawling. Right under our garage door - as it closed. Poor little guy. And tots witnessed it. The reality hit her today as I opened the door and there was his little squished exosceleton on our driveway. She kept saying, "He's dead," and she wasn't going to leave this one, either. My mommy brain took over and we got a little leaf to carry his little body to our grass, where we dropped him off, as I explained that we all die and our bodies go back to the earth to help the plants grow... (thank goodness for The Lion King).
Here's the kicker: I was fighting back the tears as I watched my three-year-old process the idea of death. I hope she doesn't have any closer experiences with it any time soon. That just about did me in.
1 comment:
Oh sad! I hope she is doing better now.
Post a Comment